Posoh Friends and Families,
Welcome to a wonderful year of kindergarten.I’ve been a part of our school community since January 2000, first as a teaching assistant and now as a kindergarten teacher. I have two children—Zachary, 29 and Kevin, 26, am married (David), and I have a wonderful dog, Walter. I love the outdoors and often integrate our beautiful big backyard (that’s what we call the area outside of our room) into classroom activities.
Our kindergarten teaching philosophy is based on seven principles.
- The social curriculum is as important as the academic curriculum.
- How children learn is as important as what children learn. (Our instruction includes teacher-directed and child-initiated activities.)
- Children learn best when they are working with others.
- Children need a solid foundation of social skills (explicitly taught and practiced throughout the year) in order to succeed academically and socially.
- Forming relationships with and knowing our students and families are as important to knowing the content we teach.
- We are a learning family at ICS and everyone (students, families, and staff) is a teacher.
- Our grandfather teachings (Core Values) and cultural traditions are the foundation of our school and classroom life.
I know we will have a wonderful year together! Love, Mrs. Hanson