25 Healthy Snacks for Kids
1. Parfait: Layer vanilla yogurt and mandarin oranges or blueberries in a tall glass. Top with a sprinkle of granola.
2. Inside-Out Sandwich: Spread mustard on a slice of deli turkey. Wrap around a sesame breadstick.
3. Rocky Road: Break a graham cracker into bite-size pieces. Add to low-fat chocolate pudding along with a few miniature marshmallows.
4. Mini Pizza: Toast an English muffin, drizzle with pizza sauce and sprinkle with low-fat mozzarella cheese.
5. Spread mustard on a flour tortilla. Top with a slice of turkey or ham, low-fat cheese and lettuce. Then roll it up.
6. Sandwich Cut-Outs: Make a sandwich on whole grain bread. Cut out your favorite shape using a big cookie cutter. Eat the fun shape and the edges, too!
7. Banana Split: Top a banana with low-fat vanilla and strawberry frozen yogurt. Sprinkle with your favorite whole-grain cereal.
8. Apple Pie Oatmeal: Make one packet of microwave oatmeal with low-fat milk. Mix in 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce. Sprinkle with apple pie spice or cinnamon.
9. Mix together peanut butter and cornflakes in a bowl. Shape into balls and roll in crushed graham crackers.
10. Microwave a cup of tomato or vegetable soup and enjoy with whole-grain crackers.
11. Fill a waffle cone with cut-up fruit and top with low-fat vanilla yogurt.
12. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on hot popcorn.
13. Peel a banana and dip it in yogurt. Roll in crushed cereal and freeze.
14. Spread celery sticks with peanut butter or low-fat cream cheese. Top with raisins.
15. Stuff a whole-grain pita pocket with ricotta cheese and Granny Smith apple slices. Add a dash of cinnamon.
16. Mix together ready-to-eat cereal, dried fruit and nuts in a sandwich bag for an on-the-go snack.
17. Smear a scoop of frozen yogurt on two graham crackers and add sliced banana to make a yummy sandwich.
18. Microwave a small baked potato. Top with reduced-fat cheddar cheese and salsa.
19. Make snack kabobs. Put cubes of low-fat cheese and grapes on pretzel sticks.
20. Toast a whole-grain waffle and top with low-fat yogurt and peaches.
21. Mix together low-fat cream cheese, mixed dried fruit bits and shelled sunflower seeds. Spread on a toasted English muffin.
22. Blend low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana for thirty seconds for a delicious smoothie.
23. Make a mini-sandwich with tuna or egg salad on a dinner roll.
24. Sprinkle grated Monterey Jack cheese over a corn tortilla; fold in half and microwave for twenty seconds. Top with salsa.
25. Spread peanut butter on apple slices.
Natalia Woehl, M.ed.RD. CD.
ICS Nutrition Manager
Authored by Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics staff registered dietitian nutritionists 2015
ICS is a equal opportunity provider.